A Night Of Nostalgia

For the second time, since the pandemic, I was again able to watch a concert last Monday, Jan. 23, 2023. I am a fan of his music since I was in high school. R&B is my type of music. The first song of him that I liked was 'Mad' followed by 'Miss Independent.' And then here comes 'Go On Girl.' Since the first time I heard that song, which was around 2008, if my memory serves me right, I couldn't stop listening to it. Every time I hear that song on the radio or watch its music video, it instantly warms my heart. There are songs that make you think like it's truly made for you, and 'Go On Girl' feels like that to me. Every time I hear it it feels like my heart is going to melt. I don't know why, but that's what that song does to me. 



I know you already have an idea about whose concert I watched. Obviously, it's Ne-Yo's. I was already wondering when he's gonna have his concert here in the Philippines. I thought that watching him perform live was too far-fetched. I thought that he's lay-low in the concert scene. Guess I was wrong, but see, I'm strong. Won't take long for me to move on. Yeah, those are lines from one of his songs. My most favorite song of him. But unfortunately, he didn't sing it during his concert. I'm not mad, though. ๐Ÿ˜„ Anyway, I was really surprised when I found out that he's going to have a concert here. I was really happy and been waiting for the day of his ticket selling. I made sure that I was first in line. I would truly feel heartbroken hadn't I scored a ticket. 

My all-time favorite song of him is 'Angels Cry', a duet with Mariah Carey. It's truly one of the most heartbreaking songs for me. I've never experienced a break-up, but to me it's a perfect background song for those who are grieving  the loss of their loved ones—romantic relationship wise. I love hearing it especially the one where they sing high notes together. It's just perfect. 'Hate That I Love You', his song with Rihanna, is another favorite song of mine. I love the title, and of course the lyrics. This is one of the songs that I can sing even with my eyes closed, without looking at the lyrics. I already memorize this because I kept on watching its music video before. We had a DVD that had this song and I kept on playing it over and over again. I loved the scene in the elevator. I also love his song with Jessica Sanchez, 'Tonight.' I used to put it on repeat and in a very loud volume. It's a perfect song to set the mood.

Okay, back to the concert proper. It started at 9PM. It was a full-house. Unlike the last concert that I attended last September, I made sure that I'll be early this time. I didn't want to experience the same things again. If you're wondering about my experience last time, you can check my blog.

I had no idea beforehand that there's going to be a front-act. I only found out that time. It was Jason Dewey. He's a DJ, so I know you already have an idea about his performance. It felt like I was in a bar with all the partying. Not that I have any experience going in a bar or partying. It's just how I see it on TV. A wholesome bar with loud music minus the alcoholic drinks and the dancing. Although there were couple of girls who danced like they were really in a party. I can't blame them cause the songs that he's remixing would really make you want to get on your feet and dance like no one's watching. It was fun and a perfect way to set the mood that night. 

Ne-Yo began his concert a little half-past nine. 'Miss Independent' was his first performance. Of course, the audience went wild immediately. I was mesmerized during the first few moments of his opening song. I can't believe that I am watching him live. It's just been in one of my dreams, then he's in front of me, live, dancing, singing. It felt like I was in Hollywood, with the ladies dancing on stage with him. It's truly fascinating. 

His performance of 'Mad' was definitely heartfelt. Hearing it in records is one thing, but hearing it from the original singer perform live is definitely another thing. It's moving. I felt it in my heart, every word. ❤ I just want to share, I have a love-hate relationship with that song. About 14-15 years ago, my past crush and his then girlfriend, now ex, danced to that song. I loved that song before, but when I watched their video performing it, I kinda hate that song a bit. And since then, I cannot hear that song without picturing them dancing to it. But after Ne-Yo's concert, thank God, I have another memory to remember once I hear the song. It's definitely a classic, classic. 



Another nostalgic performance of him that night was 'Because Of You.' It's also one of my favorites back then. I still love it now, but not to the 'Go On Girl' kind of like. 

I loved it when he sang 'Do You.' Just like when he performed 'Mad,' it's also a bit emotional. I love that song. While he was singing it, I couldn't help but remember when I was just hearing it play on my mp3 every morning. It made me want to cry. 

I loved all the song that he sang that night, and 'One In A Million' was definitely one of my favorites. Also, 'Sexy Love.' He sang them so smooth that it made you want to fall in love. 



Another very notable performance of him during that evening, and a big revelation to me, was when he performed the songs that he wrote. And I had no idea that he wrote 'Take A Bow', 'Irreplaceable', and 'Knock You Down.' I had no idea that I will be hearing these songs. I mean, they're also on the list of my favorites. I remember when I set 'Irreplaceable' as my ringing tone back when I was still in high school. And 'Take A Bow,' I mean, that's Rihanna's. I love Rihanna. And 'Knock You Down'? Who doesn't like that song. I kinda felt sad when he sang 'Take A Bow', cause I thought it would be his last song for that night. He sang it wholeheartedly, so I thought he's already closing the curtains. Guess I was wrong again. ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

The last part of his concert was definitely invigorating. It made us stand up from our seats and jump on our feet. It's full of fun and made me feel like reality didn't exist. I mean, it made me wish that I could stay in that moment forever. It was just all jumping and singing at the top of our lungs, especially when he sang 'Closer.' Added to the vibe were the dancing lights. It's definitely a concert like no other. 

Another high spirited performance of him that night was 'Give Me Everything.' Pitbull was singing with him on the big screen. The audience were really into that moment. We were all just jumping and singing with him, and enjoying the moment.

And of course, there's no better way to end his concert than to sing 'Time of Our Lives.' It's absolutely the perfect finale song, and for me it best describes Ne-Yo's concert that night. I couldn't stop singing that song after his concert. While I was walking out of the venue until the time when I was waiting for a ride. I couldn't hide my smile while I was singing. I want to put my hands up in the air while I was walking, but fortunately I was able to stop myself. Cause people might think I was loosing my mind. But no, it's just Ne-Yo's side effect. 

That concert is truly remarkable. I can say that Ne-Yo is truly a total performer, with all his dancing, singing and how he interacted with his audience. I find him amusing—in a good sense. I didn't get bored during his concert. He showed his versatility as a performer when he performed some of his heartwarming songs then transitioned into his  more danceable songs. I enjoyed watching him. He's entertaining. It brought me back some good memories. It was truly a night of nostalgia.

I hope that it won't be the last time. He didn't sing 'Go On Girl' that night, so I am hoping that there is going to be next time.  ๐Ÿ˜





au revoir. ๐Ÿ˜Š

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sat With Ree: Westlife The Twenty Tour

Sat With Ree: Jab We'll Done

It's Our 8th