Sat With Ren: The Script Greatest Hits Tour 2022

Before pandemic, I got hooked watching concerts of some of my favorite international artists. My first major concert experience was in 2018. I enjoyed it a lot that's why since then I looked forward watching another live performance again. I was actually supposed to watch two concerts in 2020. But then pandemic happened, and the rest was history.  

When the world somehow started to feel okay again, some borders were reopening, some travel restrictions have eased and concert producers were announcing the resume of their postponed events, I know that it will be sooner rather than later that I get to watch another concert again. One of the artists that I've been wanting to watch perform live was The Script. They've been here in the country for several times already, but I wasn't able to watch them.  

I wanted to watch them live and join them singing at the top of my lungs the opening line from their song 'Breakeven' that goes like, "I'm still alive but I'm barely breathing." Couldn't we all relate to the lyrics at some point in our life? One of my favorite songs of them is 'For The First Time,' and I also looked forward hearing this performed live. My favorite line from this song is, "We're smiling but we're close to tears." I mean that line is a total mood, isn't it? 

When I saw on their social media that they have upcoming shows abroad, I'd been anticipating the announcement of their concert here in the Philippines. And they didn't disappoint me. I think it was June this year when they posted that they're going to have a show here. When their producer announced the time and date of the selling of The Script concert tickets, I see to it that I was gonna make it in line as early as possible. Fortunately, the universe was on my side. The start of ticket selling was 10:00 AM, and by 10:02 AM I already secured my ticket. And I couldn't wait for September to come, so that I could finally watch their concert for the first time and sing with them.


Come September 23, I got to the venue late. It was already 8:00 PM and I was still on my way there. I had to walk as fast as I could just to be there as soon as possible. If I could only fly I really would. I was so glad that when I got there it hasn't started, yet. It was a few minutes past 9:00 when it started. 

The most exciting part of a concert for me is when it hasn't started, yet. When the lights went off and someone goes to the stage to do some last-minute fixing, and the audience will start screaming. When the audience assume that the person who went to the stage is part of the band and the concert is already about to start. But then the person goes down and goes backstage. And we will all laugh, cause we fool ourselves.  

Anyway, going back to the corner, I mean concert. I picked a seat that was beside the stage so that I could easily spot the performers when they come up on stage. I witnessed when some members of The Script were getting on stage one by one. What surprised me was how Danny O'Donoghue was already on stage. I was just watching his bandmates climbing up the ladder, but I didn't see him going up. And the next thing I know, the audience went wild. 

The first song that they played was Superhero. I was totally enthralled during the first few moments. I still couldn't believe that Danny O'Donoghue was really singing live in front of me. I waited for that moment for quite a while already, and finally it's already happening. I was just staring at the LED screen while I was being mesmerized by his charm, like I want to pinch his cheeks cause he's too cute. He was so charming. 

This photo didn't give any justice to how dashing he looked that night, but this is the best that I got.

The next song was 'Rain.' The energy of the crowd was definitely high. It was followed by 'We Cry.' When they performed 'Paint The Town Green', Danny went down the stage for a moment and went towards the aisle. There was a barricade between the stage and the audience, but he climbed out of it and went to the audience while he was thumping the bodhrรกn that he was carrying. Since he's tall, he could easily climb the barricade. It wasn't high, though, but still. I find that moment very thoughtful of him cause he made his was to come to the audience who were a bit far from him. I just wish he also went up to us on the upper box section. Just kidding. 

After that he sang one of their major hits, and I think one of the songs that most people there was waiting to hear, 'The Man Who Can't Be Moved.' He was sitting on the center stage while singing the first few lines. He said that the last time they performed it in Manila it was "a magical moment." Unfortunately, I wasn't there to tell why it became so magical. He was teary-eyed after he sang the song, and while he was looking intently at the crowd that was sorrounding them. 

It was followed by 'Before The Worst' and 'Dare You To Doubt Me.' Then after that the band went down the stage and went to the audience who were on the side. In that moment I wish that I was there beside them and I also get to smell them because they're really too close to some of the audience that they could already sniff the band. How could people behind them get so lucky to be so close to them that night? I mean, if I were them I won't take a bath in the next 7 days. Seriously. ๐Ÿ˜… They performed two songs there. One was 'If You Could See Me Now' and the other one was 'Nothing.' But before they performed 'Nothing', Danny asked the audience if there was someone who's willing to give him their phone to call their ex boyfriend or girlfriend. And there's this girl who was dauntless enough. He called her ex but he hang up on the first try. The ex answered on the second try, and Danny wanted to video call him said he wanted to sing to him. What a lucky man to have been video called by Danny O'Donoghue. How does it feel to be God's favorite? LOL. 

After their performance of 'Nothing' they went back to the stage. They sang 'Something Unreal,' 'Arms Open' and 'Talk You Down.' Then they followed it with my most favorite song of them, 'For The First Time.' Try as I might to sing out loud the line, "We're smiling but we're close to tears," I just couldn't. My energy was so low that all I did was raise my hand while my other hand was holding my phone that was filming them. I lost my energy trying to walk as fast as I could just to make it to the venue as soon as possible. I hadn't had my dinner, yet. I didn't even have the time to buy a drink cause I was really in a hurry. (I am not complaining, though.Their show was worth sacrificing a meal. I'd definitely do it all again if I had to. ๐Ÿ˜†) That's probably the reason why I didn't have the energy to match with the band's. The good thing is that my recorded videos from that night have good audio. You couldn't hear much of my voice. The past concerts that I'd been to I tried to control myself from joining them singing, but I always failed. So my not so good voice was really the one topping the audio, and it wasn't really so pleasant to hear. And I feel so proud because during this concert, Danny's voice was clear and mine wasn't that loud. Sometimes it pays to have low energy. ๐Ÿ˜†


After their performance of 'For The First Time,' Danny bid farewell, said he had a great time. He said thank you and acted like they're really leaving. They really left, though. The crowd was singing, 

"Oh, these times are hard 
Yeah, they're making us crazy 
Don't give up on me, baby" 

over and over again while they were gone. The only lights that were visible during that moment were the lightsticks from the audience. But I didn't believe that the concert was really over. You know why? Cause they haven't performed yet the most anticipated song of them which was 'Breakeven.' True enough, they went back on stage after a couple of minutes. So the audience went crazy again.

When they came back they sang 'No Good In Goodbye' hence the leaving. If their act of leaving didn't justify the song, I don't know what will. When they sang 'Breakeven' after that, it was a sad moment for me. Cause I know that it would be their last performance for that night. I wanted to freeze the moment. I didn't want for the concert to end, yet. I waited so long for it, and was hoping that it would last a bit longer. I felt like I needed more time to spend with them. (I'm not crying, though.) 

Anyway, it wasn't their final performance. 'Hall of Fame' was the last song that they performed. Danny asked us to turn on the flashlight from our phone. The venue went bright while they were doing their last performance of the night. Some of the audience went closer to the stage, but the marshals stopped them. Danny told that it's okay, so the crowd continued going near the stage. I wish I was one of them. He's very accommodating, and I admired him for that. We then turned off our lights after they sang, but then he asked us to open them again cause he said that the band wanted to take photo with us. They were on the center stage, so the only people visible in the photo were the audience in the middle. I was on the side. ๐Ÿ˜”
 
I might not be able to give my best energy that night, but I know that there is still next time. I swear the next time I watch them I am going to be at the venue so early. Even if their concert is set at 8:00 PM, I'll already be there by 6:00 AM. I'm going to stack a lot of energy with me, and I'm going fill my tummy a fully loaded meal. 

Indeed, it was an incredible night watching them performed live in front of my very eyes. I might be far from them, but it doesn't matter. I was there. I was part of the event. It was such a wonderful experience. It was one for the books. A memory that will stay in my heart even after many years have passed. A memory I will forever treasure and carry with me. The band performed so well. They showed great energy. It was one hell of a show. And I can't wait to witness their next performance here in the Philippines again. 

photo credits to the owner



For now, I'm going back to the corner. I'm gonna camp in my sleeping bag. I'm not gonna move. 






au revoir.๐Ÿ˜Š

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sat With Ree: Westlife The Twenty Tour

Sat With Ree: Jab We'll Done

It's Our 8th