Grade Isn't Everything

During one of the job interviews that I attended, an interviewer asked me about the biggest mistake I made when I was in college. The question shocked me because I never expected it. I mean, it's not one of the questions I was expecting. It's far from the "How can you see yourself 5 years from now?" type of question. But, of course, I had to answer it. I told her that not enjoying my college days fully was the biggest mistake I made back in college. It was what popped into my mind in that moment. I focused more on my academics and didn't enjoy my time, I added. 

It was just recently that I read on social media some news about a graduate student who said almost the same thing during his speech at their graduation. If my memory serves me right, he's a Magna Cum Laude. And if I'm going to give any advice to students, I will tell them to take it easy and not to put too much pressure on themselves. Because getting high grades in school won't guarantee you a better career once you finish your education. To some, probably yes, but not all. Grades aren't everything. Maybe it can get you to a better school or make you on the honour roll, but after you graduate, it doesn't mean that you can easily land your dream job, or a job per se. 

I was once an academic achiever. When I was in elementary, I was always included in the honour roll. Mind you, I was either first or second honor. When I was in high school, the competition was tough. I was only included in the honour roll when I was in my third or fourth year. I couldn't remember it anymore. ๐Ÿ˜ When I was in college, I was included in the Dean's List,t except for the last two semesters. Because there was finance, and my mind wasn't able to comprehend anything my professor was saying. I have a fear of math. Anyway, back to the "academic achiever." I didn't say that to brag. I told you about it just to make my point clear. See? I was an achiever back then. And I am unemployed. Most of my former classmates have their own jobs. I had classmates in elementary who didn't perform well back then. Most of our teachers would scold them because they were hardheaded. But they are now working as seamen. 

We cannot base our future on how well we perform in school. Once you enter the "real world," an employer won't ask you how many exams you aced. Or how many times you were called by the guidance counselor? Or how many failed subjects did you have? They only want to know how well you know the job you are applying for. They want to know how confident you are with your skills. It's like a graded recitation. It's not merely about memorising answers to the possible questions. It's also about being prepared to be asked "out of the blue" questions. Questions you've never expected you would hear. 

There is nothing wrong with aiming to get high scores on exams. There's nothing wrong with studying all night. There's nothing wrong with wanting to excel in your class. There's nothing wrong with making your parents proud. If that's what you want to do, if that's what you can do. But make sure to never lose yourself in the process. You will only be that young once. You can never get back to that phase of your life. So don't forget to enjoy. Never pressure yourself, especially if you're already sacrificing too much of yourself. I don't know if there's a better way to say this, but do not take your grades seriously. I know that it's embarrassing to hear when your teacher announces your test scores and you get the lowest. I've been there. And it's truly frustrating, especially when your teacher makes fun of you and your classmates are all laughing. It's like wanting the ground to open and eat you right away. But, you know, your story doesn't stop there. There are far more humiliating scenarios you are going to experience along the way. There will be more insensitive people you're going to meet. 

That's the reality. Life will keep on testing you. So you should always be prepared. And part of the preparation is expecting unexpected turns of events. Life won't always go as planned. You have no assurance that your high grades will get you to the top instantly. It's not a guarantee of employment. It's not a guarantee of having a good life. Your grade isn't everything. Your grades don't define your success. Your academic life is just a part of your story. It's not your whole book. So while you're in it, make sure to pause when needed. Of course, your parents will be proud of you when you announce to them that you are the class valedictorian or that you are the Suma Cum Laude. But it crushes them every time they see you tired, restless, and struggling. At the end of the day, they only want you to thrive, not die. 
That's the thing about life. There's no amount of studying that will fully prepare you for what's to come.



au revoir. ๐Ÿ˜Š


 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sat With Ree: Westlife The Twenty Tour

Sat With Ree: Jab We'll Done

Sat With Ree: Mula Timog Patungong Hilaga