Movie Review: Purple Hearts

Starring:

Sofia Carson

Nicholas Galitzine

Chosen Jacobs

Linden Ashby

Director: Elizabeth Allen Rosenbaum

Release Date: July 29, 2022

This is a story about Cassie (Sofia Carson), an aspiring singer-songwriter and Luke (Nicholas Galitzine), a member of the US Marine. They met through their common friend, Frankie (Chosen Jacobs). They married each other despite their love-hate relationship. Wait, let me get that straight. It's only hate when they got married, there's no love, yet. 

It's not your typical love story that has full of sweet moments. If you haven't seen the movie, yet, prepare a box of tissue or you could also use your blanket (like what I did) to dry up your tears when you watch the film. Prepare also your heart to get broken. One of the most heartbreaking scenes for me was during the funeral, especially when Cassie gave the ring. Somehow I saw it coming at the start of the film, but it still saddened me anyway. 

The movie doesn't focus solely about Luke and Cassie's love story. Both of them are fighting their own battles individually. They both have a goal that they want to reach. I'm impressed with how the two of them didn't center their lives with each other, but at the same time they are each other's go-to person despite the fact that they didn't get along pretty well.

My most favorite scene was when Cassie professed her love to Luke. I loved all of her dialogues there. Luke wasn't good with words, but his actions showed how he deeply cared for Cassie. 

I loved Linden Ashby's character as Jacob Morrow. He played as the father of Luke. They showed the reality of a father-son relationship. Personally, I think most of the Dads are pro in showing their children—especially their sons—a tough kind of love. But in the end, a real father would always be there for their children to pick them up everytime they fall. They only want their children to learn lessons that they need to. It's truly heartbreaking when Jacob Morrow uttered the line, "I thought you were bringing my son back to me."

I loved all the characters in the movie, but I loved Peaches the most. 

I want to commend how Sofia Carson's singing prowess was greatly showcased in this film.

There are many lessons that you can find in the movie. First, we are all fighting internal battles that we are only willing to share to few people, sometimes not. Second, there comes a time when we have to make choices in life that people don't understand why we chose them. Simply because, go back to the first lesson. Every choice that we make has its own consequence/s. So, we have to be fully armoured when the time comes that we have to deal with them. Third, some people are willing to give all that they've got when it comes to the people that they love. Fourth, our father will always be proud of us no matter what. Fifth, just when you thought you lost all your hope, God will surprise you and answer your prayer in the most unexpected way. 

I loved its ending. I mean the ending after the ending, if you know what I mean.

If you haven't watched the movie, yet, what are you waiting for? It's time to join the bandwagon. But for the record, I didn't watch it cause I got curious about all the fuss on social media. It added to my curiosity, but what made me want to watch the film was when I saw its trailer. When I saw it I already wanted to watch it right away, but it hasn't been released, yet that time. So, I had to wait a few weeks. But I can say that Purple Hearts, was truly worth the wait. 

I am giving it a rating of 5/5. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Worst Job Interview Experience

Sat With Ree: Jab We'll Done

Sat With Ree: Westlife The Twenty Tour