Father's Day

Unlike my mother, who I have been living with for almost my whole life, me and my father didn't have the same longevity living together. Not because of anything, but because my father only wanted to give us the most comfortable life that he could possibly give. My father was a seafarer. Most of his life was spent on the boat. He goes home more or less every 2 years. With a vacation of not more than 3 months. The way of communicating back then wasn't as high-tech as now. I remember that he would send my mother snail mail that sometimes had his voice tape. And in return, my mother would send him letters and sometimes greeting cards for his birthday and for Christmas. Of course, they would read them late, or in advance, because of the time it would take before receiving the mail. I also remember how my mother would urge me to write letters to him to let him know about my grades in school. Sometimes my mother would send him my picture, and she would tell me to write a dedication at the back. 

That was how our lives were back then. If I could sum it up, the time that my father and I spent living together was probably not more than 5 years. That's why I remember most of our moments together, because there aren't that many. There's this one time during his vacation. When he saw the clothes that I was wearing at home, he told me to go with him to the mall so that he could buy me new clothes to wear at home. Maybe because he saw that the clothes I was wearing could already pass as rugs. There's also this one time when I was having my OJT in Manila. I came home because he also just got home from his work overseas. He was waiting for me at the gate. When he saw me, he came to me hurriedly shouting, "Ineng." He enveloped me with a hug and kissed the top of my head. I felt how happy he was to see me. But being the stubborn kid that I was, of course, I didn't reciprocate the warm welcome. I even thought that he was overreacting. Even if we didn't see each other for more than a year, I still thought he was overreacting for feeling that way. It's just now that, when I look back on that moment, I realise how heartwarming it was. That is definitely my favourite moment I had with my father. The most unforgettable time I had with him was during his last few days. He couldn't get up anymore; he could barely move and was unable to speak. He was lying down, but when I passed by his side, he motioned for me to stop. I thought he was asking me to help him get up because he was offering his hand. But when I held his hand, he didn't get up. He just held my hand. We just stayed like that for a few minutes. Little did I know that it would be the last time that we would be holding each other's hands. If I had known, I would have held his hand the entire day. 

Every devoted father's hope is to give his family the most convenient life that they could possibly give. But, of course, it comes with a lot of sacrifice. As much as they wanted to spend more time with their family and witness every milestone of their children's lives, they couldn't. They have to work hard so that they can provide for not only the needs but also the wants of their family. Sometimes they have to exchange their time with their family for work. They don't just see the present; they are also preparing for the future of their children. Some fathers aren't born with a golden spoon, so they've been through so much in life. That's why, as much as possible, they don't want to see their children go through the same hardships in life. 

Happy Father's Day to all the fathers out there. To all the grandfathers and mothers, to all the uncles, to the older brothers, and to everyone who considers themselves or serves as a father, we celebrate you. Thank you for providing for your family. We appreciate all your efforts and hard work. 

Most importantly, happy Father's Day to everyone's father and to our father in heaven, God. He is the king of all kings and the father of all fathers. Thank you, God, for giving us our earthly father. Thank you for being our greatest provider. You have set the standard for what a father should be. A father is willing to give his children anything and everything. There is nothing you can't do for your children. Thank you. Thank you for loving us unconditionally. Please hug my father for me and kindly tell him I miss him.

Whatever relationship you have with your father, surely you're going to miss him when he's gone. Cherish them while they are still here.




au revoir. 😊

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sat With Ree: Westlife The Twenty Tour

Sat With Ree: Jab We'll Done

Sat With Ree: Mula Timog Patungong Hilaga