The Gift‎

Christmas season is already here, and with that I know that gifts are already in mind. Though that's not what Christmas is about, still we couldn't help but think about it. Perhaps not what we are going to receive, but what we are going to give to our loved ones. Now I'm curious. What's the most unusual (material) gift that you've ever received?

I don't know about now, but way back many years ago the most typical gift someone could get were picture frame, mug, or a photo album. Every Christmas parties expect that you're gonna get one of those. I received a picture frame when I was in fifth grade. The good thing was that Mama Mary's picture was on it. So, who am I to complain? Then during one of the Christmas parties in our barangay, I got a mug but with a shirt. My most coveted gift back then was the photo album, but I never got it. Now the most common gift I receive is t-shirt. That's why I don't buy clothes anymore. Cause I know that when December comes, I'm going to have a new shirt again. So why bother?

Anyway, back to my question. The most unusual gift I've ever received from an exchange gift is an instant noodles—two instant noodles. That's why the following morning, I had a free breakfast. It was during my first grade. I could still vividly remember how they were creatively wrapped. Have you ever seen the kind of wrapping that is in a style of a shirt? I was so ecstatic when my Monita handed it to me. I assumed that what's inside was really a shirt. I was definitely surprised when I opened it and found out what's actually inside. When I got home and showed my family what I got from our exchange gifts, they all laughed. Up until now, they still remember that gift and they still laugh every time. I wouldn't blame them, though. To be fair, we were just in grade school then. So, there's a limit when it comes to the cost of the gift. If I remember it correctly, I think the quota was PHP 10.00. Back then the price of an instant noodles costed only PHP 5.00. I think she just got practical with the gift. 

Back then I used to envy my classmates' gifts. Cause I never really received a good gift, or something that I really wanted. Or I only didn't have contentment. I always expected more. I was mindless of the fact that we were all just students, and we didn't have the budget for good gifts. That's why now when I received good gifts, which is rarely, I feel so flattered. Like, 'Wow. You really gave a careful thought about what to give me. Thank you.' And then I'd cry. Just kidding. 

As I said Christmas isn't just about giving or receiving gifts. Sometimes the best present you've ever received isn't creatively wrapped in a gold wrapper with a red bow. Sometimes they are handed to you as it is. And sometimes, the person who gave the present to you is already the best gift that you could ever get. 

At the end of the day, gift is just a gift. It's just an added bonus to the celebration of a happy occasion. It's always the thoughtfulness and the the genuineness of the giver. It doesn't matter how expensive the gift you receive is, if the person who gave it to you will one day rub it on your face, or if they're expecting anything in return. It's better to not receive at all. 

Whatever gift you're going to receive this Christmas, or whether you get any or nothing, still be thankful. As I mentioned, that's not what Christmas is about. It's not even about us. It's about celebrating Jesus Christ who suffered and died for us. He's the reason why we have this celebration. Everything comes from Him. He is the giver of the most perfect gift that we could ever ask for. 




au revoir.😊

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Worst Job Interview Experience

Sat With Ree: Jab We'll Done

Sat With Ree: Westlife The Twenty Tour