Sat With Ree: Learn From Your Mistakes

When I was a kid I did horrible things. I did mistakes that I'm afraid I won't be able to correct anymore. I lied to few people to make myself better. I cheated not just in a quiz but in a lot of exams when I was in elementary. I stole things. I was mean to few people. These are some of the mistakes that I could remember doing when I was still a kid. 

I told people lies. It was one of the ways how I made myself feel that I was better than most people. I presumed that when I made them believe of the things that I did or I had they would like me. I felt like I needed to exaggerate things about me. I didn't owe up to my mistakes. I hated to admit to people that I made a mistake or that I was wrong. I wanted to appear that I was perfect even if it meant lying to them, and even though there's no such thing as being perfect.

I cheated to a lot of exams because I thought I had to always get a perfect score. If not perfect, at least I should always be second or third to the highest. I had no room for a failed test results when I was in elementary. I always wanted that when my mom asked me how I did in the test, I would answer her with, "I got a perfect score." Not that she told me that I had to ace every exam, but because I know she'd be happy when I did. 

I stole things from around our neighborhood because I used to envy what others have. If I saw my playmate had a new toy and I didn't, I got jealous. So I would took it from their house, because I also want what they have. I thought stealing was the only way to have the things that I was dying to have. 

I was mean to few people, especially to my cousins who were younger than me. I thought I was special, like I was better than most people. I would expect people to give me a special treatment. I was mean to some of my classmates, too. I was mean even to those who didn't do me anything wrong. 

At an early age, I already found out the wrong things that I had to stop doing simply because they're wrong. I don't have to lie to other people to gain their approval. It's better if people will like me just as I am, without any pretension and lie. I don't even need to care whether people like me or not. For as long as I know that I don't do them any wrong, then I shouldn't wait for their acceptance. 

When one of my teachers caught me cheating from an exam, I realized that I had to stop doing it. I don't know how I did, but eventually I relied to my own capability. If I wanted to get good grades, I had to study hard. I figured that exams are given to students for the teachers to assess whether their students learned something or not. I thought that if I got high scores, then I could proudly say that I'm smart. But I realized it isn't as simple as that. Learning and simply memorizing are totally different. If you are good at memorizing, you could get a high score. But that isn't true knowledge, because after a few days there's a high percent chance that you'll forget what you memorized. The exam was over, you scored high, so you can forget all that you've memorized. Real knowledge and true learning is when you truly understand the lessons. It's easy to remember things. What's hard is to understand your lessons wholeheartedly. And that's what you need if you really want for other people to admire your brilliance. There's no sense if you only know your lessons during exams. The real test of knowledge is when you could still recall your past lessons even if years have already passed. 

I learned that if I want something, it's best if I put an effort to get it. The things that I want so bad wouldn't be so easy to get. If it would be easy for me to have it, I would probably value and appreciate it less. Unlike when I know that I worked hard for it, like I skipped meals only to buy that most coveted thing of mine, then I would absolutely take care of it and value it more. I learned that if you get something the easiest way, it would also slipped out of your finger in the blink of an eye. 

One of the best things I learned is that, I should stop thinking highly of myself. I am not better than anyone. We all have our unique qualities and traits that make us different from others. We are all equal. We have our own strengths and weaknesses. We have to stop belittling other people just because we think we are better than them. We should always treat people with kindness and respect. The people we encounter when we were young would somehow impact our personality once we've grown. You don't know how much you are affecting a person with your single mean comment. Some people take a lot of time to heal from something that hurt them. So as much as possible, let us always treat people kindly. Take it from The Dalai Lama,

"Our prime purpose in this life is to help others. And if you can't help them, at least don't hurt them." 

I'm glad that I did them when I was a lot younger. When the repercussions were still bearable. Unlike if I do it now, I'll probably be in jail for trespassing someone's property. Or I won't have any decency to face other people because of the lies I keep on telling. I already learned from my wrongdoings. I know I can't correct them anymore, but I'm aware not to repeat them. 

If I could restart my life, I would definitely avoid making those mistakes. I am not proud of them. But I can proudly say that I'm way past it. I was still a kid when I did those awful things. Though being a kid doesn't give any justification for why I did what I did. A mistake is still a mistake regardless of age. What I want to say is that now that I'm a grown-up I've learned not to do them again. I know that they are wrong. My past mistakes helped me strive to be a better person.

Making mistake is a fundamental part of life. We have to make mistakes for us to learn. If we are afraid to commit any mistake, then we won't aim to change to be better. Once you know that it's bad, then it's time for you to stop doing it. Owning up to your mistakes won't make you a bad person, except of course for the judgmental ones. ๐Ÿ˜† Have the courage to acknowledge the fact that as a human being, we all make mistakes. Be brave enough to own up to your mistakes, but be braver to change for the better and to do the right things. 

A mistake repeated wouldn't be a mistake anymore. It will already be a choice. If you choose to make the same mistake again and again, you have to deal with the consequences. It is your choice if you will let your mistakes define you. 

Mistake is a proof that sometimes in life we fall. But we don't have to remain static to where we got knocked down. We have a choice to rise up again to our feet and prove to our self that we can still change. Know that there is always a room for improvement. 



au revoir.๐Ÿ˜Š

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Worst Job Interview Experience

Sat With Ree: Jab We'll Done

Sat With Ree: Westlife The Twenty Tour