‎Crafts by Bato-Balani

Last Tuesday, February 13, 2024, I officially launched my online small business called Crafts by Bato-Balani. The idea started last year. I have loved creating DIY items ever since. I was making a storage box then, but I couldn't think of how I'd make the cover of the box. I was thinking about how it wouldn't fall off easily. So, I thought of putting a magnet on it. As I was browsing on an e-commerce site, I came across this shop that sells materials for making keychains out of clay and/or resin. Then I asked myself why I hadn't thought of doing that before? I mean, making items out of clay and selling them. When I was a kid, I loved making figures out of clay. 

After I finished my storage box, I decided to buy tools that I could use in my clay-making. I bought only the basics: sculpting tools, a rolling pin, and, of course, clay. I started practicing creating shapes. I thought it wouldn't take me long to practice since I'm already familiar with clay. I would say I underestimated the power of air-dry clay. To my surprise, it's totally different from normal clay. If you knead air-dry clay for too long, there's a high chance that it will crack once you mold it. If you knead it for a short time, it will shrink big time. I mean, air-dried clay shrinks when it is dried, but if you don't knead it properly, it will get smaller than the usual shrink size. It will also be deformed. It was definitely a challenge. If you have a plan for using air-dried clay, my tip is that you should familiarize yourself with it. Different brands mean different ways of handling. Practice is key to becoming familiar with it. Never stop creating, even if you've already figured out the proper technique for handling it.

It took me more than a month to learn the dos and don'ts of handling air-dried clay. (I'm still learning the other techniques, though.) I already finished some of my products last year, but it was only this year that everything was completed. From the color of the key rings up to the packaging that I'm going to use. The most stressful part was choosing the packaging. I have so many ideas in my head, and I don't know which of them will work. Fortunately, I saw this shop that makes personalized envelopes for businesses. I sent a message right away to the shop asking for the price. They still responded even though it's already late at night, and the next day I had already sent them the layout. 

There was a point in starting this business when I thought of stopping. As a newbie in the business industry, I have many doubts. I don't know if I'm going to make a profit out of this. I have no idea if people will buy my products. I've already invested money and effort, and I don't know if they will return. I thought of stopping because, at one point, I felt like I was wasting my time and money. But I've already come too far to disregard everything. I guess you won't really know unless you try. So I pushed through with this business. Come what may. At the end of the day, I won't be wondering how this will turn out once I try. 

For now, all I can do is hope for the best. I hope my small business will become fruitful. I hope that this year of the dragon will bring prosperity to my business. You can check out my products on my Instagram, @craftsbybatobalani and on Facebook, Crafts by Bato-Balani. I am proud to say that Crafts by Bato-Balani is made with love, sweat, and tears. No blood, only love. 😊




au revoir. 😊


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Worst Job Interview Experience

Sat With Ree: Jab We'll Done

Sat With Ree: Westlife The Twenty Tour